Many RC drivers and pilots are alway wrestling with these question: How to Discharge a Lipo Battery for Storage? How many voltage you should charge? How to discharge a lipo for storage? Now, I will share my experiences, if you want to know and come to the right place.
How to Discharge a Lipo Battery for Storage
The best way, using a quality balance charger to run the storage mode(built in a charger), it doesn’t matter your battery is empty, some voltage existing or full charge. It will charge or discharge it as necessary and proper storage voltage automatically.
Lipo Battery Storage Voltage
As we know, it’s not right to storage a lipo battery with fully charged or fully discharged, it can actually damage the battery. Therefore, liPo batteries need to be discharged and stored with cell voltages near nominal, at 3.8v.
As long as the voltage is 3.8v per cell, Store your batteries between 40-60% charge for best longevity
Lipo Battery Storage Tips
- Lipo’s do not like full charge, or less than 40% or so.
- Too low a storage voltage, or too high will damage the battery.
- Check them every month if you don’t use them often
- Store lipos in locations as fireproof as possible. Good places are on the concrete in your garage, or in a metal/glass box away from wood or carpet.
- When storing your LiPo battery long term, always store at room temperature and use a proper container, like a fire proof LiPo bag.
- Store in temperature-controlled locations – not too hot, and not too cold, and as dry as possible.
Safety first! Storage a lipo battery having a fire extinguisher nearby and easily accessible. After reading How to Discharge a Lipo Battery for Storage, you should know how to do and save your battery and money as the same time.