This topic of RC battery Connector types is very interesting and it will surely seek your attention toward it because of the benefits that people are reaping from these connectors. These all connectors fulfill the simple purpose and they help to connect RC LiPo battery packs conveniently to complete an electric circuit. If you also interested in their uses then you should read this article to know about different types of it.
Micro RC LiPo Connectors (1-10Amps)
This small Molex RC battery connector type is also known as JST PH 2 pin and their ratings are 1 and 2 Amps. These connectors are little and also having low cost. You have to handle it carefully because it can easily loosen up while soldering wires to the female connector.
It cannot take too much heat for a long time. You can use thick CA glue to avoid loosening up of pins. The thin CA glue cannot be recommended because it can move further and can insulate the connector. Male Pico blade connectors with attached wires are more suitable than the connector without expensive crimp tool. You can handle male connector pins easily because they are crimped on to the wires and this is the reason there is no effect of soldering heat on it.
- It is very helpful to assemble two different components
- It provides ease in repair because it is easily replaced
- It gives design flexibility
- Upgrades are easy
- These little connectors can be used on Blade and Walker micro helicopters that are small as well as single cell LiPo RC aircraft.
- It is used to provide power to the motherboard, fans, disk drive, video card, and CD/DVD drives.
JST RCY Connectors can be used for battery packs that are small under 1500 mAH. These small plugs rated not more than for 5 Amps. You can push it up to 10 Amps and this will be done without any issue.
These are one of the robust RC Battery connectors types and considered as the favorite of many people and the reason behind is it can be easily plugged and unplug. You don’t need to frequently change them and this is the reason you will need a few connectors for a long time. You will get this connector in both types that include with installed wires and with crimp only version.
- It is compact, durable, and difficult to connect backward.
- It is hard to disconnect once it mated you can take this advantage or disadvantage.
- You can use them for quadrotors park fliers and electric heels.
- Most of our boards use this connector for power supply input.
- The Gens ace’s min lithium- polymer ion batteries come with the connectors. Like Gens ace 1300mah 11.1v battery.
Deans Mini Connectors:
This solid little RC connector battery type value can range from 7 Amps up to 12 Amps. If you want to push it more than 15 Amps value is enough for it. Always take care of overheating the pin because it can cause damage.
They are very comfortable to handle and you can easily solder wires without any issue. They are “non-sex-specific” and it means that there is no need to get a different plug for both male and female. It needs only one plug for both of them. This is the reason it is very easy to plug and unplug for users in this RC battery connector type.
All the solder joint that is exposed need heat shrink for insulation purpose. To avoid shorting hazard you need to take care that exposed pin is not “+” on the source side.
- They are more efficient than any other connector.
- These connectors offer the resistance-free connection for MOSFET or battery.
- These connectors you can see for RC circles and now you can see them also for Airsoft.
Servo Plugs Connectors:
These servo plugs connectors are the other one of the best RC battery connector types. These plugs can take around 3 Amps load but if you want to increase the load then it can be up to 6 Amps. But its duration should be short. It is a very good option to make your own servo connectors. Your positive efforts can save your money to spend on it.
You will find three pins in servo connectors and when you use them as power plug then only two pins get in use. You will use the middle “+” pin and “-“outer ground pin only. The other outer signal pin will leave untouched. This is the reason when you will see only two wires in red and black color in servo connectors when you use them for the power plug.
- The servo plug connector can work with any servo controller, the brand of receiver, and servo extension.
- You can make your own servo connector.
- It is used for RC powering methods that can include flybarless system and receiver.
- It is used for PV terminals but you cannot use them for LiPo battery connectors.
- Small RC LiPo Connectors (10-30Amps)
The beginning of this small RC battery connector type is still unknown. You will find many copied version connector in the market but their capability cannot match the original Amass XT 30 connectors. You can differentiate the original connectors from the copied ones by checking the Amass name embossed on its right side. The original Amass XT 30 connectors are little costly for you. These connectors can take a load from 30 Amps and you can increase it up to 40 Amps.
Heat shrink is needed to insulate them. Nylon is used to make these RC battery connectors types and this is the reason there is no need to worry about overheating or loosening of the pin while you are soldering wires.
- They provide a better contact surface thus they can handle the greater amp.
- They also handle lower resistance.
- Small in size and also lightweight.
- It is perfect for the applications up to and beyond 35A constant.
- Use for small drones.
You can consider EC2 connectors as the smaller version of EC3 and EC5 connector type. It can take a load of 20 Amp and it may vary up to 30Amps. You can use only 2mm bullet pin in this connector.
It is different from XT style because there is no need of heat shrink insulation. It is very similar to EC3 and EC5 in the way wires solder into pins that are attached to the case. It can easily cool down because of the hidden solder connection within the connector housing.
You cannot replace or reuse them because they are snapped into the case. As compare to EC3 and EC5 connector it is very easy to plug and unplug.
- These plugs fit together tightly to make a good contact.
- This connector protects from shorting and reverse polarity
- This connector is ergonomically pleasing.
- The EC2 connectors are best for small quadcopters.
- You can also for low current drawing craft.
Medium RC LiPo Connectors (30-70 Amps)
Deans or T Plug
These RC battery connector types are safe from melting because they are made from the high-temperature nylon. There is no reverse polarity because its shape can prevent it. This Package includes 1 Male and 1 Female Deans connector.
- The connection is efficient because of gold plated construction.
- No chance for wrong polarity connections.
- It is secure for battery and motor connections.
- You can use this connector if you want to connect robotics electronics to a battery.
- For ESC LIPO Battery Motor.
These EC3 connector can take around 60 Amps load and it uses bullet pins of 3 mm. These connectors are pricey as well as these are not easy to plug and unplug as compare to other connectors in this current range.
With this connector, there is no need to worry about your plastic housing because it uses hollow ends of pins to solder wires. These pins are snapped into the connector and this is the reason there is no tension of melting.
Another good thing that it doesn’t need heat shrink for insulation. But the problem arises when you want to replace or reuse. This RC battery connector type cannot replace because of the wires runs into the connector housing.
- EC3s make a very secure connection and it can be difficult to disconnect.
- They don’t get melt and also doesn’t need heat shrink for insulation.
These connectors are popularly used for:
- Blade line helicopters
Most of the people consider this RC battery connector type best among all. It can take load up to 60 Amps.
These are better than deans or EC3 connectors because they can be easily plugged and unplug. They are constructed with the nylon and this is the reason they are safe from melting and pin loosening problems.
There is some external soldering pin that requires heat shrink insulation but still, you can replace and reuse this connector type.
- It ensures high Amp connection
- It forms the super solid connection
- This connector avoids melting or deformation.
- They are reliable and better quality connections.
- The XT60 is best for applications up to and beyond 65A.
- This helps to make the perfect connection between your RC fpv heli & airplane and Robotics Electronics to a battery. Like Ovonic 2200mah 3s battery.
This RC battery connector type can be used in Traxxas RC boats and for the vehicles. But you can also use this for other application that comes within this current range of 60 Amps easily.
You will surely get impressed because of its ease of connectivity. Like Deans connector, they also use flat contact tab over connector pin of bullet style. These are better than EC3 because they don’t need heat shrink for insulation because all the wires are inserted deep into the connector housing. There is also no need to worry about melting because it has got full protection. There is the need of the special tool to remove the pin and this is the reason pin removal quite difficult.
- These connectors are considered as the best because they can be easily plugged or unplugged.
- They don’t need heat shrink for insulation.
- Traxxas connectors maintain low resistance.
- Large surfaces on the plug help to make grip easily.
- The reverse polarity protection avoids plugging it in the backward direction.
- High density and high discharge battery packs.
- Brushless motors.
Large LiPo Connectors (70 Amps & up)
This RC battery connector type is larger than the EC3 connector and also they use 5mm bullet pins. They are better because there is a greater surface area for any contact. They can take load up to 120 Amps and it can burst around 150 Amps. They are perfect to use for electric heels with size 700-800 and for large-scale electric planes.
It is the same as EC3 because it also doesn’t need heat shrink insulation because all soldered wires on the back of the pins pushed into the connector housing. But here also you will find the problem of replacement and reuse of pins. You cannot even use the drift punch method for it because it will destroy your housing.
- These connectors are easy to connect as well as the disconnect.
- Soldering is extremely easy.
- This connector is rated for high amps.
- They are perfect to use for electric hails with size 700-800.
- They are also used for large-scale electric planes.
This connector can take the load of 90 Amps and up to about 120-130 Amps, it can burst. If you will compare this connector with the EC5 connector then you will find them better to plug and unplug.
In this, you have to use heat shrink because of the exposed soldering connections on the back of the plug. You have another option if you don’t want to use heat shrink then you can use the connector with plastic insulation cap. You can also use the anti spark version of this connector.
- The XT90 make the tight fit connection for minimal resistance.
- Provides Solid and Reliable Connection
- These connectors are used in RC models that include RC UAV lipo battery(XT90 Female), RC charger, and RC ESC(XT90 male).
- They are also used in remote control aircraft.
Anderson Power Pole Connectors
This RC battery connector type is considered as the nicest connectors in industrial electronics connectors. Its housing quality also makes it best among other connectors.
When you will use these connectors then you will find it easy to plug or unplug. But there is one drawback that you will find while using it that is regarding connection. Its connection is not that tight. It uses flat tab style silver coated pins and you have to use crimping for wire attachment. You can also use the soldering method but it needs proper care. It also doesn’t need heat shrink for insulation. But they come in many sizes also and these sizes can be ranged from small PP10 up to thePP350 size.
- It has self-cleaning contacts
- After right connection, they never plugged in reverse polarity.
- There is no male and female whereas all fit in all.
It is used in modern railways, robotics, radio control, and data centers.
Bullet Style Connectors
In this connector you can use different bullet pins with different sizes and according to the size of the bullet, current ratings vary. These connectors are also known as the “Banana Plugs”. All the variations depend upon the bullet length. There is the list of different bullet size and current ratings below:
o 2mm Bullet = 25 Amps
o 3.5mm Bullet = 50 Amps
o 4mm Bullet = 90 Amps
o 5mm Bullet = 120 Amps
o 5.5mm Bullet = 130 Amps
o 6.0mm Bullet = 150 Amps
o 6.5mm Bullet = 160 Amps
o 8.0mm Bullet = 200 Amps +
You will find two styles of male bullet connectors whereas female side will be of the same style. Male style contains split and sprung types. These all-male styles fit into the hollow tube of the female style. The inside of the female tube is connected with the sprung connectors whereas the split style pin has two or more quadrants and create good electrical contact with the female. This is the reason split style can handle larger current as compared to the sprung style of this RC battery connector type.
- These connectors make reliable and solid connectors but still, you can reconnect and disconnect.
- It is easy to hook up with other connections.
- It can be usedd to wire solar panels and light.
- It can be used for marine applications and car.
This RC connector type battery can take load up to 150 Amps. These connectors are big in size and this is the reason 6mm bullet pin is used for them. As it is large in size so you need adequate space for it. There is an interesting thing that you can slide together the individual pins to make the connector with one, two, and three pins. With this option, you can work in congested areas with these plugs because they can make your work easier.
- They are easy to solder and to use.
- It provides the solid connection.
- These connectors are perfect for motors or esc and for large batteries.
- Use for RC drone (Like Tattu 22000mah 6s battery), Airplanes, trucks, cars and RC Boats.
These connectors can be used for high power applications and it can take load up to 200 Amps. This connector uses larger bullet pins of 7 mm size. This is the reason it provides excellent surface contact. Its female plugs will provide reliable connection because they are spring loaded.
It is based on spark suppressing technology and there is no need to worry about damage about the spark because it eliminates current surge. They have open size design and that is the reason this RC battery connector type is easy to solder.
- It maintains the reliable connection.
- The contact surface is excellent and low resistant.
You can use them for heavy lifting multirotor builds and this includes:
- DJI S1000
- Tarot X-Series frames
There are different RC battery connectors’ types we have covered in this article. All the connectors have the different range of current and they also vary because they have different applications. There are two types of connectors that are power connectors and balance connectors. These power connectors are used for high current use anywhere and balance connector is used to balance the individual cell’s voltage. It only depends upon your personal preference that what kind of the connector you are going to use. These RC battery connector types are important for both smaller models as well as for high-performance RC hobby.