Use and maintenance of rechargeable batteries for NiMH cordless electric drills
- Under normal circumstances, the new NiMH battery contains only a small amount of electricity. After you buy it, you must first charge it and then use it. However, if the battery has a short delivery time and sufficient power, it is recommended to use it before charging.
- Newly purchased NiMH batteries generally need to be recharged and used 3-4 times to achieve the best performance. Many people encountered small problems during the first charge.
For example, the number of usage after the first charge is less. So much. After 3-4 times of charging and use, it was solved.
- Although the memory effect of NiMH batteries is small, it is still recommended that you try to recharge after each use, and it is fully charged at one time, do not use it for a while and then recharge it.
- When charging the battery, pay attention to the heat dissipation around the charger. It is not necessary to use a fan too deliberately, but it is important not to place too much debris around the charger. Ordinary users often have no special storage bag when using the battery; after replacing the battery, the user will habitually put the battery away regardless of whether the place is clean and wet. The consequence of this is that the battery is easy to get dirty, the contacts are easy to contact with metal, such as keys, and easy to get wet, and these are the enemy of the battery.
Suggestion: The user should set a special place for the battery and keep the battery clean. In order to avoid problems such as power loss, keep the contact points at both ends of the battery and the inside of the battery cover clean, and wipe with a soft, clean, dry cloth when necessary.
- When not in use for a long time, remember to remove the battery from the battery compartment and put it in a dry environment. It is recommended to put it in the brand battery box to avoid short circuit of the battery.
- The NiMH battery that has not been used for a long time will naturally enter a “sleep” state after being stored for several months, and the battery life will be greatly reduced. If the NiMH battery has been left for a long time, it is recommended that you charge it with slow charge first.
According to the test, the best condition for NiMH battery storage is about 80% when it is charged. This is because the self-discharge of NiMH batteries is relatively large (about 10%-15% a month). If the battery is completely discharged and then stored, if it is not used for a long time, the self-discharge phenomenon of the battery will cause overdischarge of the battery and then it will damage the battery.
Suggestion: Compare more, correct the wrong viewpoint, and start to maintain the battery from the right direction, otherwise it will be counterproductive.
- NiMH battery discharge .
Try not to discharge the NiMH battery, over-discharging will lead to charging failure, the harm of doing so is far greater than the memory effect of the NiMH battery itself!
In use, care must be taken to maintain the battery before it can be used for a long time, but if the battery on the cordless drill cannot be charged or the power is quickly depleted, the battery may need to be replaced.
Cordless electric drill batteries wear out over time. If the battery is damaged, the performance of the battery will also decrease. Using a multimeter, the cordless electric drill battery can be tested to determine whether it needs to be replaced.
Cordless drill battery inspection
Insert the battery and charge it for at least one hour. When preparing to test the battery, unplug it.
Touch the two battery terminals with a multimeter probe. Be sure to touch the negative probe to the negative terminal and the positive probe to the positive terminal.
Check the voltage indicator on the multimeter. A fully charged battery should be tested at least 1 volt higher than the voltage listed on the battery. For example, an 18 volt battery should be tested at 19 volts or higher.
If the voltage indicator is equal to or lower than the battery’s rated voltage, the battery needs to be replaced.
If the voltage indicator shows a high voltage, but the battery is still not fully charged, repair may be required. In this case, please take the battery to a tool repair shop for more thorough testing and repair.